How to Rediscovering Goa

Goa, what can I say about this place, that has not already been said before. The tantalizing food, the friendly people, the rock solid monuments, the free flowing alcohol or the captivating beauty. Goa –  it never fails to excite me.

I Remember Visiting Goa as a Child – making sand castles on the shore and salivating on some delicious Goan muscles. Fifteen years later, I visited Goa again. I still made little sand castles on the shore and salivated much more on some Goan cuisine (with a glass of chilled beer!).

This time though I went prepared, determined to explore Goa. I armed myself with a map and a Konkani -speaking husband (which I figured out is a huge advantage), I ventured into the unknown. Basilica of Bom Jesus was our first halt. This is one of the oldest churches in Goa, as well as in India. It contains the body of St. Francis Xavier who died on December 2, 1552. His body still remains, miraculously, intact.

Goa as a child

Basilica of Bom Jesus


Basilica of Bom Jesus

The Second Halt – Fort Tiracol. If the urge to escape to the ends of the earth ever strikes you, visit this little piece of paradise called Fort Tiracol. The fort built by Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle in 17th century. Now the fort has been converted into a hotel, the Terekhol Fort Heritage. Spectacular in every sense of the word. A perfect escape from the maddening crowd!!!

The Third halt – Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. This highly rejuvenating bird sanctuary holds dear to me because of its scenic and serene atmosphere. The sanctuary is full of mangrove vegetation, bird species, mammals, marine life to attract thousands of tourists every year. The lazy waves lapping against the shore, the chirping sounds of many foreign birds – all have a soothing healing effect to the mind, body and soul.

Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary


Dr Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary

My Fourth Halt – Baga Beach at 1am, feels nothing less than heaven!
I and the hubby decided to pull a peaceful stroll along the beach. No back-to-back meetings, no hectic work schedules but the caressing night breeze and the glittering moonlight for company. Just then, right there, I suddenly discovered that Goa is more than just parties, booze and the alien crowd. Try walking along the Beaches of Goa on a moonlit night and listen the waves whispering – you’ll know why.

I visited Goa to refresh my otherwise stressed mind but I left Goa feeling alive and with a promise to visit at least once, every year!

Post a Comment

0 Comments